4.18.2011

Spring is in the Air


Grass is growing…















Trees are budding...

It’s almost time for branding…

AND baby chicks are on their way!

Yes, I did say baby chicks, and yes they are coming to our house.  I have decided to take on the project this summer of raising chickens, 26 and a duck to be exact.  I am in the process of fixing up a barn in our yard, (that was previously a pig pen) and adapting it for chickens.  I am very excited, I think this will create many stories and I’m sure will be quite the grand adventureJ.  We are getting the Red Star and Black Australorp varieties, pictured below (the red ones are the Red Stars and the black ones are the Black Australorps, in case you didn’t catch that from the namesJ).  Their purpose will be to produce eggs, no additional baby chicks though, as we WILL NOT have a rooster.  I was not real into the idea of random wake up calls night and dayJAs for the duck, it sounded like fun to have a duck.  They sell them at a feed store here and Josiah had a duck when he raised chickens with his brother, I thought it sounded like a nice idea.



I will keep you updated as progress continues on the barn and when the chicks arrive.

Here is what the barn looked like after I had just started working on it. I am not very good at remembering to take before pictures, that is until after I have already started J.


2 comments:

  1. That looks awesome Katie! I salute your ambition and I can't wait to come home and see them. Baby chicks are the cutest things in the world hehe :) And you'll have fun watching your duck eat potato peels :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More pictures please! I can't wait to see the progress. Also, please post how in the heck you talked Josiah into getting chickens...I'm stunned. Truly you are THE woman for him. :)

    ReplyDelete